Sunday, May 27, 2012

Short Story Month, Day 27. Horror

I’m not really making a serious attempt to cover all the genres here, but for some reason this morning I was thinking about horror. I haven’t read a lot of contemporary horror fiction, probably because I get too scared. But I certainly have enjoyed some in my day, and Poe, Mary Shelley and Bram Stoker do rank right up there with the best writers in my eyes. And Hound of the Baskervilles, anyone? Yikes.

For some reason, I have a hard time staying within the required genre when I’m writing stories. I have a story in a horror anthology, which, while honoring the conventions, is not particularly horrifying, and one that ended up in a very literary journal is in fact downright creepy.

So, although I’m going to give you a horror story prompt today, and a very hoary one at that, you don’t necessarily have to read it that way. Feel free to let it take you to another kind of tale entirely.

Today’s prompt:

I’m coming to get you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment